Core Teacher Thursday With Cari Locken
Did you know that Core’dinations has three amazing teachers? This wonderful team of industry leading designers will be creating quarterly classes JUST for the Core blog and your inspiration!
We are working on an exclusive section of our website just for them so stay tuned for more details on that SOON!
Today have a gorgeous candle created by Core Teacher Cari Locken. For more of Cari’s projects check out her blog here. This would make a gorgeous housewarming present over the holidays. You can use this color palette or even change it up with some reds and greens for Christmas or an color palette for that special occasion.
Instructions for “Fall is in the Air” Candle Decoration
Core’dination Colorcore cardstock:
Brownie 1440 CD040
Coconut Cream 1380 C020
Cardinal 420 OG020
Tank 430 OG030
Stylus (or scoring board)
Cricut Expressions or die-cut machine
Mickey & Friends & Stretch Your Imagination cartridges
Adhesives (tape runner, double sided tape, pop dots)
Step 1: Base
1. Cut a piece of Heritage Kraft to 2 1/2”x 10”. Run the cardstock through your Fiskars paper crimper so that the lines are going vertical when it is put on the candle.
3. Wrap around the candle and adhere it place (the ends will overlap slighty).
Step 2: Label strips
1. Cut two small strips of Brownie to approx. 3/8” x 12”.
2. Place a strip of cardstock through the Dymo Labeler and “type” the words that you want on your strips of cardstock. Repeat this process with the other strip of cardstock.
4. Adhere one strip along the top edge of the base and the other strip along the bottom edge of the base. Trim ends as necessary
Step 3: Creating the leaves and acorns
1. Using the Cricut Expression (or other die-cut machine) and the Mickey Mouse & Friends cartridge cut leaves like this:
<chip-s> Shadow:Base/Icon @ 2 1/2” from Cardinal 2 times.
<chip-s> Shadow:Base/Icon @ 2 1/2” from Tank 2 times.3.
<chip-s> Shadow:Base/Icon @ 2 1/2” from Autumn 2 times.
<Squirl> Layers @ 1 1/2” from Coconut Cream and then again from Brownie.
and repeat again two more times at 1” from Coconut Cream & Brownie.
2. Now cut the acorns using Stretch Your Imagination cartridge:
3. Take the leaves and use a stylus and the cutting channel of your paper trimmer (or a scoreboard) and make some scored lines on the backside of the cardstock resembling the “veins” on the leaves.
4. Carefully sand the embossed lines with a Sand it Gadget and clean off with the Dust Buddy.
Step 4: Assembly
1. Cluster the leaves together in groups of 3 and adhere to the base of the candle. One near the top and one cluster near the bottom edge.
2. Tie some string around the upper edge of the base cardstock (just below the word strip).
3. Adhere the acorns in a cluster in the center of the leaves and use a pop dot to adhere the larger one.
And one more shot of the finished project…