Flower Garden Mini Canvas
Supplies: Core’dinations Cardstock: Reflecting Pool, Meadow, Argos, Tangarine, Fuchsia Fizz, Nightfall, No.11 and No.21 from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection, Sand-It Gadget, Dust Buddy. Other Supplies: Canvas 8×8, acrylic paints, Petaloo Flowers – Botanica Minis Pistachio, Floral Ephemera Fuchsia, Burlap Blossoms Natural, Botanica Blooms Fuchsia, glycerin, spray bottle, Mod Podge.
1. Mix water and glycerin in a ratio of 16:1 in a spray bottle. Spray a sheet of Core Reflecting Pool Cardstock on both sides.
2. Scrunch cardstock into ball to add texture. Flatten out and leave to dry.
3. Cover canvas with layer of Mod Podge and add textured cardstock.
4. Trim excess cardstock from back of canvas and corners as shown. Add another layer of Mod Podge and leave to dry.
5. Paint canvas with green and blue acrylic paint to create a blended effect. Technique Tip: Don’t feel like painting? Just sand the textured cardstock before you apply M0dge Podge for a distressed look. That is the great thing about Core’dinations…so many possibilities!
6. Add some simple strokes of green acrylic paint to create a grass effect and add some dots of pink to represent flowers, allow to dry.
7. Draw some simple grass blades onto the reverse of some Meadow cardstock in different lengths. Cut out and sand using Sand-It Gadget. Fold gently lengthways to create a 3D effect.
8. Arrange grass onto canvas and adhere with a strong craft adhesive.
9. Add some simple small painted flowers to the background. Arrange and adhere paper flowers.
10. Cut some simple leaf shapes from No.11 Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection, score along center, pinch vein leaves using a needle nosed tweezers and sand using Sand-It Gadget. Add to canvas. Technique Tip: You can use a scoring tool for the veins in the leaves,too!
11. Trace bird template onto No.21 Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection, cut out and sand edges. Trace beak onto Tangarine, legs onto Argos cardstock and eye onto Nightfall. See below for pattern.
12. Assemble bird adding dimension using foam pads. Add dot of white acrylic paint to eye. Adhere bird to canvas behind some of the grass.
13. Trace butterfly onto Fuchsia Fizz, cut out, sand edges and adhere to canvas.
14. Add some more painted foliage and flowers in the background and some more Core cardstock for grass to the front to fill in any gaps to finish.
I included a template for the bird and butterfly below. Just right click and save to your computer, then print.