Back to school… A bitter sweet time of the year where we return to schedules and learning, leaving behind the laid back lazy days of summer. Typically we think of primary colors red, yellow and blue when we think of back to school thanks to pencils, school buses and composition note books. I didn’t want that for this layout so I’m breaking out of the norm and jazzing it up a bit!
I still have three of the primary colors in there but the pink background really gives the over all feel of the layout a more girly theme. One of the traditions in our house on the first day of school is a “back to school” sheet cake that they have to pose with before digging in for snack. Not sure how I’m going to do that with a middle schooler and one in elementary school!
Fussy cut around your embossed images for something with a bit more dimension, it’s easy to do! Kraft Core leaves a wonderful brown core that really pops the images.
There is no place better than the beach! And not just during the summer, during those non-summer months, when it’s a little rougher to get to the beach due to the lack of time and return to regular routines. Here is a great way to remind yourself of just how great the beach is and what’s around the corner!
Cut Files – Kolette Hall Studios (Design ID #43142 and #61944), Hero Arts (Design ID #40428)
Buy yourself a lovely weathered frame and dress it up with some Core’dinations cardstock cut with beachy dies and cut files!
The Kraft Core Shattered collection adds that perfect weathered feel to a beach themed project. So too does sanding add a sand worn effect.
Tucking things between the background and the frame adds a 3D dimension and some added depth to your project. Note how the texture of the Core’dinations cardstock really makes this sea star that much more realistic!
You can really add some great texture to your mixed media projects using Core’dinations cardstock. By using embossing and tearing techniques you can really add a great tactile quality to your projects!
1. Paint the canvas black using acrylic paint. Emboss some black (No.24-S) cardstock from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Shattered Collection using the stars embossing folder. Sand using the Sand-It Gadget and wipe with a Dust Buddy.
2. Tear a piece of green cardstock (No.12-S) from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Shattered Collection and two pieces of (No.9) from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection to form the hills. Emboss using the chevron embossing folder. Distress straight edges using a distressing tool.
3. Adhere pieces to star embossed square, machine stitch border and distress edges using a distressing tool.
4. Cut come simple star shapes from the Kraft side of some cardstock from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection, apply white acrylic paint. Once dry sand edges using Sand-It Gadget for a distressed effect.
5. Adhere stars to square panel. Attach panel to canvas using Mod Podge, leave to dry.
6. Cut some small rectangles of No.24 cardstock from the Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection, write “follow”, “your” and “own” on each rectangle using a white pen. Stamp “star” using a white ink pad.
7. Add a white paint wash to the hills to highlight. Adhere text to canvas using Mod Podge. Add glitter to large stars and adhere some sequin stars.
8. Paint edges of canvas using blue acrylic paint and outline stars in blue. Outline text in white paint. Add some glow in the dark paint to the stars for a fun effect!
Core’dinations has a sea of colored-core cardstock to create the perfect ocean scene for any card or layout! Today I am sharing an ocean themed baby card made with Core’dinations Graphic 45 Lights and Tim Holtz & Ranger Adirondack Collection.
Ranger Versa Mark & Archival Ink & Super Fine Embossing Powder
Stamping on Core’dinations Cardstock is so fantastic because you get a sharp image and texture!
Technique Tip: When heat embossing with clear embossing powder on Core’dinations Cardstock, be sure to sand and dust the cardstock before stamping the image with Versa Mark. This allows for the colored core to show through clear embossing. I did this on the waves and I love that it gives different hues to the waves, just like you would see at the ocean!
I am sure you are never late sending a birthday card, but I always am! My sister is the lucky recipient of this fun belated birthday card made with Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic and Shattered Collections.
To create this card:
1) Emboss a 4.25″x 5.5″ card base made with Core’dinations Kraft-Core Nostalgic No. 15.
2) Sand embossed cardbase with Sand It Gadget and dust with Dust Buddy.
3) Round bottom corners of card base with corner rounder punch.
3) Cut a 4.25″ x 1″ and 4.25″ x 2.5″ of Core’dinations Kraft-Core Shattered No. 20s, corner rounding the 1″ piece.
4) Using the backside of the 2.5″ piece you cut in step 3 (Kraft side), stamp your sentiment on the right lower side of this piece.
5) Glue down the stamped Kraft piece and the 1″ piece (with the Shattered side showing) 1/2 inch from bottom of card).
5) Stamp the critter image two times, once on Core’dinations Kraft-Core Nostalgic No. 23 and once on Kraft-Core Shattered No. 20s. Stamp the tree stump onto the Kraft-Core Nostalgic No. 23. ***
***Tip: Be sure to sand & dust both of these pieces before stamping your image. By sanding and dusting before stamping, you get a sharper image and keep dust particles off of the stamp.
6) Fussy cut out both images stamped on the Kraft-Core Nostalgic No. 23. Cut out the tail, belly and nose from the critter image stamped on the Shattered No. 20s and layer onto the critter image you cut out in Step 7.
7) Using double-sided foam tape, adhere the tree trunk and critter to the right side of the card, next to the stamped sentiment.
Core’dinations Cardstock is such a great weight to use with different mediums! Today I am sharing a tutorial for the simple and pretty multi-media layout I made with lots of Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection.
The Crafter’s Workshop Mini Cloud & Poppies Stencils
Ranger Tim Holtz Adirondack Snow Cap Mixative
Dick Blick Modeling Paste
To create this 12×12 layout:
1). Sand & dust 1/2″ border around the 12×12 Kraft-Core No. 15 background
2). Cut, sand (especially distressing the edges) & then dust with Dust Buddu:
a) Two 10″ x 2″ and one 10″ x 1.5″ pieces of Kraft Core No. 6.
b) One 10″ x 2″ and one 10″ x 1.5″ pieces of Kraft Core No. 2.
3) Flip to the backside one of the 10″ x 2″ pieces of No. 6 cut in Step 2. Using a cloud stencil, outline the clouds using a score tool from the back. Sand and dust the clouds embossed on the front side.
Core Tip: When embossing cardstock using a stencil and score tool, use a rubber mat underneath the stencil. This allows you to get a deep scored image without ripping the cardstock and always score from the back so the raised image is on the front.
4) Using a paint brush, paint in the clouds with a white wet medium. I used Ranger’s Snow Cap Mixative because I liked that looked like different densities in the clouds.
5) To create the “be true” part of the title, use a stencil with acrylic modeling paste to the left side of the 2nd piece of 10″ x 2″ piece of No. 6. Apply evenly with a popsicle stick. When removing stencil, be sure to lift the stencil up straight so you don’t smudge the title work.
6) “To you” is added to the 10″ x 1.5″ piece of No. 6 after the cardstock has been adhered to the background using the same technique and placement in Step 5.
7) Alternating the colors, add the cut & embellished pieces of cardstock to the background in a slightly angled manner.
8) Mat three wallet-size photos with Kraft-Core No. 15. Making sure to sand and dust the edges before adhereing the photos.
8) Finish off by adding lots of Darice Sequins with a dollop of Liquid Pearl in the middle.
Multi-media layouts do not need to be complicated. Just by using a couple of wet mediums to Core’dinations Cardstock, you can create fun titlework and painted embellishments! ~Kate
Cut panel of Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection No.11 to fit across card base, sand using Sand-It Gadget and adhere to David Tutera Kraft Smooth Card base. Cut rectangle of brown cardstock from Graphic 45 Signature Series Darks, emboss using Circular Grid embossing folder, sand and adhere to bottom of card. Cut panel of Graphic 45 French Country Collection Montage Patterned Paper, attach to center of card. Attach strip of gingham ribbon. Using cardstock from Graphic 45 Signature Series Darks cut sunflower and sentiment using cut files.
Assemble sunflower, cut strip of Core’dinations Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Nostalgic Collection No.11 to create stem, adhere to card. Pinch vein lines in leaves using needle nosed tweezers and sand lightly, attach to card. See image here to create the veins for flowers. Add sunflower and sentiment. Apply glossy accents to sentiment to finish.